The Grantmaker’s Role in Community Organizing
- Advocate - Make the case for supporting a grantee or a line of work
- Bridge builder - Make it possible for strange or unlikely partners to work together
- Connector - Link grantees to one another or to others to maximize outcomes
- Critical friend - Give honest critique without smashing hopes or undermining confidence
- Facilitator - Lead or coordinate the work of a group to get ideas on the table or to get things moving
- Fundraiser - Help grantees raise money from other foundations and donors
- Idea mover - Take a leap with new ideas or people in a field or community or inside the foundation
- Sounding board - Listen actively for ideas, opinions, and points of view
- Strategist - Create and sell a long-term plan of action to achieve a particular grantmaking goal
- Translator - Help internal leadership understand what’s happening in a field or community and vice versa
- Validator - Affirm good work by grantees and others in the field
- Voice amplifier - Find and support people at the margins of a field or community
Takeaways are critical, bite-sized resources either excerpted from our guides or written by GrantCraft using the guide's research data or themes post-publication. Attribution is given if the takeaway is a quotation.
This takeaway was derived from Funding Community Organizing.